Head south of the Hurricane Belt to Panama, home to thousands of bird and plant species, tropical rain forests and a rich history. Brush up on your facts about Panama before booking one of our exclusive Panama vacations, getting on a plane and exploring all the country has to offer with Vacations by Marriott.
1. The Capital and largest city of Panama is Panama City. It is the only capital city that has a rain forest within its city limits.
2. Panama was the first Latin American country to adopt the U.S. currency as its own.
3. Senator John McCain was born in Panama, in the Canal Zone that was, at the time, considered U.S. Territory.
4. In Panama, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean in the same day.
5. Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific and set on the Atlantic.
6. Get your binoculars ready. Panama has set world records in bird watching since it shelters more birds than the U.S. and Canada combined.
7. Panama is located south of hurricane alley, so no worries of a wet vacation.
8. The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. The canal generates around one-third of Panama’s whole economy.
9. Panama´s motto is “for the benefit of the world.”
10. The oldest continually-operating railroad is in located in Panama, where it travels from Panama City to Colon.