This month, 300 years ago, a city was born. Whether it’s the 18th-century architecture or the colorful cultural celebrations, San Antonio’s tricentennial is inspiring travelers from all over the country to get a taste of its glory. And it’s easy to see why. From renowned spots like The Alamo and River Walk to its lesser known gems in the vibrant Pearl District, the city has a wealth of attractions to explore while beating the heat this summer.
1. Get the quintessential San Antonio experience by taking a boat ride at the River Walk, lined with restaurants, shops and artisan stands.
2. While you’re exploring the iconic waterway, pick yourself up some souvenirs at the Shops at Rivercenter.
3. No trip to River City is complete without a visit to The Alamo. Step back in time while enjoying guided tours and reenactments of the epic battle during the Texas Revolution.
4. Speaking of time travel, tour Mission San José, Mission San Juan, Mission Espada and Mission Concepción at the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, dating back to the early 1700s.
5. Ready to make some noise? Bring the whole family for an endless thrill ride at Six Flags® Fiesta Texas.
6. Take your San Antonio adventure underground at the Natural Bridge Caverns, the largest commercial cavern in Texas.
7. Animal lovers and adrenaline seekers alike will love spending the day at SeaWorld® San Antonio.
8. Feast your eyes on dazzling performances at the lavish Majestic Theatre.
9. Ride the carousel while getting inspired at Morgan’s Wonderland, the world’s first amusement park designed for special-needs individuals.
10. Take in the gothic architecture of San Fernando Cathedral.
11. Soak in an overflow of artistic expression at the McNay Art Museum and San Antonio Museum of Art.
12. Satisfy your cravings for Mexican and Tex-Mex food at La Fonda on Main, El Mirador or Paloma Blanca.
13. Savor serenity at the Japanese Tea Garden and San Antonio Botanical Garden.
14. Visit the Main Plaza after dark to see the light show on Tuesdays, Fridays and weekends.
15. Sports fan? Cheer for your favorite basketball team at the AT&T Center.
16. Broaden your knowledge of the state at the Institute of Texan Cultures.
17. Roar with lions and see slithering snakes at the San Antonio Zoo.
18. While at the San Antonio Zoo, take the train or “San Antonio Eagle” to a variety of spots including the Witte Museum.
19. Play some ping pong and life-size chess at Yanaguana Garden, located in Hemisfair park.
20. The Pearl Farmers Market is your one-stop shop for fresh fruit, produce, sweet treats and more.
21. From boutiques to breweries, the Pearl District is perfect for discovering the vibrant culture of San Antonio.
22. See dinosaur tracks at Government Canyon State Natural Area, which spans across 40 miles of trails and parks.
23. Don’t miss a chance to soak up the summer sunshine at the picturesque Brackenridge Park.
24. Post photos of you posing by various popular graffiti walls throughout the city, including the Sacred Heart Mural.
25. Walk across Hays Street Bridge and take in panoramic views of the city’s skyline.
26. Sip on margaritas at Historic Market Square, the largest Mexican market outside of Mexico.
27. Discover a preserved way of life when you tour homes in the King William Historic District.
28. Let zebras, camels and ostriches come to you at Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch.
29. Check out unbeatable views as you dine at the top of the Tower of the Americas, soaring 750 feet high in the sky.
30. The La Villita Historic Arts Village boasts adobe-style architecture, plentiful shops and restaurants for your exploration.
Ready to experience everything the city has to offer? Save big on your San Antonio explorations when you take advantage of exclusive rates on hotels and airfare through Vacations by Marriott.