Offering some of the most cutting-edge restaurants, bars, cafés and malls in the area, Mexico City is a vibrant destination and the capital of Mexico. Explore a host of exciting fun facts and join us for the trip of a lifetime to Mexico City.
1. The city is built atop Lake Texcoco, so it is slowly sinking.
2. It’s one of the largest, most-populated cities in the world, with some 20 million people calling it home.
3. Mexico City has the fourth largest number of theaters in the world after New York, London and Toronto.
4. Carlos Slim Helu, named one of Forbes magazine’s richest people in the world after Bill Gates, Amancio Ortega and Warren Buffet in 2016, calls Mexico City home. He’s a Mexican telecom mogul.
5. The most-visited museum in the world can be found in Mexico City, the National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología). It was established in 1964.
6. According to Guinness World Records, the most people kissing simultaneously (39,979) and the most people dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” at the same (13,597) happened in the Mexican capital.
7. Smog is a big problem in Mexico City, and that’s being addressed now. It’s reported that children painting pictures of the sky would color it grey instead of blue.
8. The subway is the most popular way to get around the city. At approximately 40 cents per ticket, we can see why. Stations on the city’s 12 subway lines offer shops, libraries, art exhibits and computer labs.
9. The city has a few nicknames, including City of Palaces, City of Hope and Capital in Movement.
10. Mexico City International Airport (MEX) is Latin America’s largest and busiest airport.